History of Continental Cement

2018

New Terminal opens in Memphis

New terminal opens at a new location in Memphis, Tennessee, replacing the outdated existing facility. 

2016

Continental Cement Acquires Terminal in Port Allen

September – Continental Cement acquires terminal in Port Allen, Louisiana, expanding services in the region north of Baton Rouge.

US Bank Stadium opens

July – US Bank Stadium opens in Minneapolis, MN; Continental Cement was used during the stadium construction

2015

Expanding the Continental Family

Continental Cement acquires the Davenport Plant in Buffalo, Iowa. This expanded Continental’s already strong presence in the Mid West and accelerated the company’s growth into new markets.

2010

Joining Forces

Summit Materials welcomes Continental Cement as part of its family.

2008

New Plant Opens

New plant opens in Hannibal, Missouri, making this the third plant to produce cement from the same location. This latest modernization included new quarry haul trucks, new crusher, preheater/precalciner plant, clinker and roll press. 

2006

Continued Growth

As we opened our new plant in Hannibal, Missouri, we also had a hand in opening the new home of the St. Louis Cardinals, Busch Stadium, which was built with Continental Cement product.

2005

Minimizing our Footprint and Maximizing Potential

Continental/MFR partnered with AES to form Green America Recycling, LLC. Today, this partnership is recognized as an industry leader providing high quality product, while also continuing to be environmentally beneficial.

1992

Continued Commitment

Continental acquired the assets of an on-site fuels recycler and formed MFR (Missouri Fuel Recycler). MFR rapidly expanded the use of waste fuels by adding two patented processes for handling solid waste.

1986

More than 30 Years of Sustainable Operations

Our commitment to operating sustainably dates back more than three decades when we began using supplemental waste fuels for energy recovery as a direct replacement for coal; Green America Recycling, LLC, eventually was created to further enhance our commitment to the environment.

1966

New and Improved

The original plant was expanded and improved throughout its operating history until a new manufacturing facility was built to replace it. This new facility boasted the second longest cement kiln in the world.

1931

Helping Build an Icon

Our product also helped build the world’s most famous office building and American historical landmark, the Empire State Building.

1914

Opening Passageways

Our superior quality product was used in the making of the Panama Canal, allowing the French crane boat, Alexandre La Valley, to be the first vessel to traverse the waterway.

1903

More than a century of history

Atlas Portland Cement began making cement at the Hannibal plant. Today, it’s known as Continental Cement.

coronavirus update for our customers, business partners, and friends.

Our simple goal during these turbulent times is to ensure the safety and well-being of our employees, customers, and our communities. Learn More